Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Y Chromosome Troubles

TaunTaun here again. Pagan pride day was overall a pretty good experience, but it always seems to bring up a particular issue for me. Most branches of paganism I've run across generally tend to have a feminine-centered type of outlook, what with the whole goddess thing, which is both fine, and expected. I HAVE had a few of the more militant Dianics get kind of nasty at me, but if we judged everyone by their extremists, I don't think there'd be anything left in the world to like.

Anyway, pagan pride day. Lots of goddess-oriented things for sale, goddess chants, goddess-centric groups, so on and so forth. There wasn't any actual discrimination or anything of the kind, just sort of a general lack of mention of the god. Which has always bothered me. I understand a lot of modern pagan traditions got their start in the 60s and 70s, so they were tied up with the feminist movements of the time. But it's 2011. I feel like the tables have turned all the way around to the point where pagan men are just sort of a "oh yeah, sure, I guess you can come too" add-on to goddess worship. At some of these things I feel like I'm the only one holding it down for the Horned One. We were married in sight of and in the name of the lord and lady, and our vows were said together, as "We do". I guess I'd like the same kind of experience out of the rest of my religious goings-on.

I don't know, maybe I'm not looking in the right places or I haven't gone to the right rituals(the Great Rite stays in-house, thank you very much). But as pagans, we do our best to be accepting and non-judgemental of others. So why, some days, do I feel like we don't extend our own the same courtesy? I've hit this particular brick wall a number of times now, with varying levels of vehemence running the gamut from things as innocuous as my wife getting invited to "Connecting to the goddess within you" workshops to a death glare that said "I was talking to your owner, male pig."

Don't get me wrong, I haven't got any problems with my relationship with the goddess, either in physical form or spiritual, when I say hi out at the fire at night. But as a fairly active guy, it's generally the god that I high-five after a big accomplishment. What I really want to know is, what's wrong with that, and why can't I find anybody else who does the same?

end transmission

No comments:

Post a Comment