Thursday, September 22, 2011

An especially nerdy Mabon


Mabon’s shaping up to be one of my busier weekends in a while. Taun-taun and I have private holiday dinner plans tomorrow; roast chicken, potatoes, carrots, and kale, followed by open circle at Psychic’s Thyme. Bringing a dish to pass – thus, squash apple bake will be featured as well.

Circle Of The Green is leading the Mabon circle. Psychic’s Thyme invites different groups to lead their circles, so there’s a changing line up. I’m already a little familiar with CotG, so I warned Taun-Taun that it will be All Goddess All The Time, but he’s still game. Maybe I’m picky about balance issues, but they opened their last open circle with a creation retelling of First There Was The Goddess And Then She Got Bored And Split Off To Make The God, and that makes a statement about where their focus is, really. Still, they’re fairly well organized and have a broad view towards attendee participation, so it should be fun regardless.

Then, it’s Game Night at a friend’s, and Saturday there’s the final test for Wicca 101, followed by Rochester Anime Sci-Fi Con, followed by public Mabon dinner at The Viking/The Fairy’s house, and then Sunday we’re committed to a ShadowRun session. I may not breathe all weekend.

The Wicca 101 finale will be interesting. In theory, we’re doing a brief dedication ritual together after the test. (In my case, dedicating to “further learning” since I’m not intending to be Wiccan.) In practice, there’s a Meeting Of The Tribes happening at 12:30 pm somewhere, and all the teachers need to leave at noon to get there in time. That gives them an hour to get everyone tested, graded, organized, and magical.

I’m skeptical. It will be entertaining at worst, but with the high Hot Mess probability factor, I’m not walking in with transcendental experience expectations. Also, since I’m heading straight to the Con afterwards, I’ll be dedicating myself to further learning while dressed like Princess Leia.

Magic Nerd Powers Activate!

Blessed Be,
Pennanti

No comments:

Post a Comment