Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Announcing a Weekly Pagan Musician Spot:


It’s been established in previous posts that I don’t know anything about music. My ear is so bad that foreign language songs make exactly as much sense as English ones do, lyrically speaking, and I frequently try to describe music in physical terms. (Am I the only one who thinks Dave Matthews voice sounds like jello? Taun-Taun assures me this is so.)

Nevertheless, I really love trying to find new music, especially pagan music, if only because the field is darn confusing. A Darker Shade of Pagan gives me a weekly fix of the goth stuff; other podcasts also occasionally provide, but mostly I stumble around the internet like a wounded chicken – afraid of viruses, hoping for the best, and with an attention span of about 10 minutes.

I have managed to collect together a bunch of artists of varying styles and quality, though. My definition of “pagan music” is fairly broad – music by pagans, or music for pagans, or music that appeals to me for pagan-ish subtext, basically. See, I love Lady Gaga, and Girl Talk is my mp3 player’s new BFF, but it doesn’t really count as “pagan music” even though it appeals to me. Eluveitie, on the other hand, has a mythological subtext that I really love as well, so it counts. (Speaking of foreign languages, no, I have no idea what they mean. I just sort of imagine a story to go with it.)

So, starting on Wednesday, I’m going to start running a weekly music review for a bit. Just one artist at a time, what I like and don’t like, and I might squeeze a guest post out of Taun-taun every now and then. (He *does* know quite a bit more about music than me. If you want anything cohesive, you should wait for him.) Appropriate links to youtube, myspace, or personal band pages will also be provided as appropriate.

I may also branch out to ‘well-known’ pagan artists that drive me bonkers, if I can find at least one song I like, but there’s certain styles of folk that are very, very difficult to do correctly.

In theory, thinking about it more often will help me find more albums and bands that I like. In practice, I’m hoping one of my 10 readers chimes in with some suggestions!

Blessed Be,
Pennanti.

No comments:

Post a Comment