Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Project Pagan Enough

This is one of my favorite pagan initiatives on the web, and I really don't mind saying so.

I'm a half-solitary eclectic pagan, and so is my husband - and so have been most of the pagans I've personally known. What has always been striking to me is the total disconnect between most eclectics and your hard-core, "I Have A Tradition" pagans.

Seriously. It's like that blank second you get when you remind a Catholic that, technically, they fall under the same umbrella as a Mormon. A sort of "How the Hell did that happen?" moment. Being raised Catholic, and being familiar with Mormon mythology, I also kind of feel like that, actually. Christian is a broad fricking umbrella term.

So is pagan, and for good damn reason. The most basic tenents of paganism have to do with the earth, with a personal connection with the divine and connotations of the worth of myth and faith. The only two commandments I've ever seen accepted across the board can be summed up by "Harm none" and "Don't Proseltize". And after that, it is up to you.

This is why everyone is pagan enough. Sure, you can argue that there should be some standards or regulations or whatever the hell. I'll disagree with you. When I was in charge of Pagan Student Union at college, my vp was a Catholic who read playing cards, my treasurer was an agnostic with buddhist interests, and my historian was an atheist interested in energy work. My secretary was the fluffiest bunny you've ever met. And this was a good thing. We honestly had a broad range of opinions represented at every meeting - and we learned from that. There's something refreshing about knowing whatever the topic, someone there believes in it - and someone thinks it's total crap.

Seriously, this club never once experienced groupthink. Even better, as we participated in campus interfaith events, it became known that whatever you were, if you wanted to come, you could come under our banner if nothing else. And how is more people involved in charity events a bad thing? Shouldn't it be enough to say, "Yeah, I mostly don't think about the abstract belief - but collecting food for the homeless, that I believe in."?

It's Pagan Enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment