Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Pagan Artist: Kellee Maize


Kellee Maize is a pagan hip-hop artist. I love the genre shift – as mentioned, I don’t always trend towards folksy guitar stylings, so I’m predisposed to pagan artists who break that mold. Her music relates to club and dance genres with the beats and actual music, while the lyrics wouldn’t be out of place at any pagan festival.

The music is electronic, for the most part (I love my beepy sounds), with chimes and hand claps and more standard instruments buried in among the synth. It’s very catchy, and easy to bop along to, which is another good point. It does start to sound the same when you listen to too much of it at once, but when thrown in with other pagan mixes, it’s a refreshing breather. I love, love, love dance music, so it’s hard for me to get tired of it. Kellee Maize seems to find the same spiritual elements in dancing – even in clubs – that I do, and I really connect through that where I have trouble with other artists.

This allows me to forgive her for the one thing throughout the first album (Aligned Archetypes) that drives me absolutely out of my mind – there’s a twenty second or so piece at the end of some tracks that is completely disconnected with the rest of the songs. Sometimes it accapella singing, sometimes it’s just spoken word poetry, but it completely breaks the rhythm, and frequently the topic is only tangentially related to the song, or not at all. It’s like a whole different song, in a different style, buried in bits and pieces throughout the album. That might be your thing, but it makes me twitch. Not enough to make me stop enjoying everything else, fortunately.

The lyrics themselves are unabashedly democratic on pagan topics. It sometimes crosses into slightly fluffy all-is-light-and-love territory, but so confidently that it makes me feel a little ashamed for being self-conscious about it. Crystal children, higher consciousness, past lives, auras, third eyes, chakras, stones, Isis, Goddess, God, psychic powers, karma, astrology, spellwork – it’s all fair game. That alone marks her apart; these songs aren’t always focused on one pagan thing, but rather on an emotional topic and the rest comes intertwined with writing about it. It makes all the rest seem more naturally part of life, and less forced than otherwise.

I really like her, anyway. Third Eye and Friday Night Flu are probably my favorites, but feel free to check out the rest! I’m not as familiar with the other singles and albums she’s released, but I have liked what I heard, so don’t expect any significant style changes from one to the other.

On a positive note, she's freely available on Jamendo (creative commons licensed music), though you can also buy her music from Amazon. The link at the top goes to the Jamendo site, so you can listen or download whatever you like without gambling on your hard-earned pocket-change.

Blessed Be!

Pennanti

No comments:

Post a Comment