Monday, June 6, 2011

I havn't heard from you in forever!

The title looks like a poor excuse for not posting, but it's not. (I have many poor excuses for not posting, but that's not one of them!)

Have you ever been randomly contacted by someone, out of the blue, that you havn't spoken with in years? I'm not talking about the facebook friend request - that's a split second of drunken nostalgia, generally, and forgotten by both parties just as quickly. I'm speaking of the text, or email, or phone call, that comes out of the blue.

Me, I'm a suspicious person by nature. When this happens, I invariably string the conversation along, wondering, "What do you want??" until some kind of answer presents itself. Except when it doesn't.

A few weeks ago, I received a text out of the blue, early Friday morning. "Happy Shabbos!"

Ooookay. After a brief flurry of "wrong number", "Isn't this Pennanti?", etc, it was established that this was from a kid I knew from college that I haven't spoken to in over 5 years. And this was how he chose to break the ice. Happy Shabbos.

We texted back and forth all morning, as he subtly and not subtly worked his way around to whatever he was wondering. He quickly established that he was happily married, so that's the Number One reason smacked down. (On a side note, that may be why I'm cynical. 80% of these 'random' catch-ups have boiled down to "So, are you single? No? Peace!")

After talking about being near rabbi-school completion, he finally sent an almost straight-forward question - "So, are you still on the same spiritual resume path as when I last knew you?"

Something about the question tweaked, in my mind. I knew, *this* is what he was trying to work around to. 'Yep, still pagan!"

And then he disappeared again. I didn't bother sending any follow-up texts - the silence pretty much answered my question, about what he wanted.

But it still irks me a bit. Who contacts someone after half a decade, just to ask if they're still the same religion? Rabbi-boy, apparently. What is up with that?

Blessed Be,

Pennanti

No comments:

Post a Comment